Choral Composer Mentorship Program | Call for Applications
The inaugural Choral Composer Mentorship Program (a pilot program) is a new initiative by Babεl in collaboration with the Canadian Music Centre (Ontario region). This program will provide resources for emerging choral composers to develop a new or existing choral work alongside a choral composer mentor, a conductor, and a choral ensemble over the span of three months.
Selected participants will have the opportunity to connect and learn from seasoned published choral composers, create/revise/edit/polish a work, and receive a performance. Additionally, participants will learn invaluable skills, such as communicating with a choral ensemble, in a supportive and encouraging environment.
The pieces developed and performed during the program shall be written for SATB chamber choir, a capella, or with piano accompaniment, with a duration of 3 to 5 minutes.
- Elaine Choi, conductor
- Matthew Emery, composer
- Stephanie Martin, composer
The program is open to any self-identifying emerging choral composer.
Up to 6 applicants will be chosen by the mentors to be full composer participants of the program. Applicants not chosen for the program are invited to audit and attend program activities (panel discussion and concerts) at a discounted price.
Selected composers are expected to attend the program activities in person, in Toronto. While there is no geographic restriction on eligibility, we are not in a position to subsidize travel and accommodations. We can provide letters of support in pursuit of travel funds.
Project Timeline, Participant Expectations
- February 24, 2020, 5:00pm EST: Deadline for submissions
- The online form will close at this point.
- March 6, 2020: Results announced
- March 15, 2020: Participants introduced to mentors (composers, conductor) and private sessions are scheduled (between March 15 and April 20)
- March 21, 2020: Group program activities
- Panel Discussion (CMC): 3:00-5:00 pm
- Babεl Concert (Church of the Redeemer): 7:30 pm
- April 20, 2020: Completed work submitted to the choir
- May, 2020: Rehearsals with Babεl
- Mid June, 2020: Performance of pieces developed in the program
Please submit the following using the online form at the bottom of this page.
- Sample material
- Applicants may submit an existing work for further development or propose to compose a new piece.
- If an existing work for further development is being submitted, the work should be underperformed or unperformed. Sketches of a work in progress are allowed. Please submit a PDF of the score/sketch. The work for development in the program should be for SATB choir (no divisi), a capella or with piano accompaniment, and 3 to 5 minutes in duration.
- If you are proposing to create a new piece, please submit a PDF of one completed score. There will be stronger consideration given to sample works featuring vocal parts (solo/chamber/choral). Applicants may choose to subm