The Canadian Music Centre Toronto Emerging Composer Award recognizes the excellent work of emerging concert music creators in the Greater Toronto Area.
The Award supports the creation of a new musical work, or the completion of an existing music-based project. It will be offered to the candidate who best demonstrates artistic excellence matched by innovation, experimentation, and a willingness to take risks. The Toronto Emerging Composer Award is made possible through the support of Roger D. Moore, and generous individual supporters.
- Self-identified early career (emerging) composers residing within the Greater Toronto Area.
- Please be aware that commissioned musical works, and compositions that have already received full financial assistance from elsewhere, are ineligible.
- Past winners of the Toronto Emerging Composer Award are not eligible to apply.
- Project Description: Outline the proposed new work or existing but incomplete music-based project. The description should explain how the project and the Award will advance the candidate’s artistic and career development.
- Project Plan: A preliminary timeline for project completion.
- Budget Summary: provide estimates of revenue and expenses. If expenses exceed the Award’s prize amount, candidates must demonstrate how they will secure the additional revenue.
- Candidate Description: CV including a list of works and activities to date.
- Support Materials: The musical scores of three works, plus accompanying recordings of these works in performance (where possible). Electroacoustic pieces may be presented without written scores.
While the jury is instructed to select one winner, they may offer an honourable mention to one other candidate. The decision of the jury will be treated as final. Applicants can request feedback from the jury process. There is no procedure for appealing the jury’s decision.
- November 2017: Call for Submissions is issued
- January 2018: Deadline and Jury Process
- February: Announcement of winner
- March-April: Public presentation to winner
- September: Interim report deadline for Award Winner