Call for submissions Deadline: November 15, 2020 (11:59 PST)
The Alliance for Canadian New Music Projects (ACNMP) and Canadian Music Centre (CMC) are inviting young Canadian composers to apply for ACTIVATE, an adjudicated composition program and reading session.
ACTIVATE is an early entry point for young artists exploring composition and sound: in particular those who are not working/studying in a professional context, and would therefore want to access different forms of mentorship and opportunities to hear their music performed by professional musicians. ACTIVATE participants will gain new skills, and have opportunities to connect with a peer group from across Canada.
We are pleased to welcome adjudicator and composer mentor Anna Höstman for this year’s program.
Program experience: ACTIVATE consists of two components:
Adjudicated composition class:
- Each composer who applies will receive written remarks from Anna Höstman in response to a submitted piece of music (addressing technical and artistic aspects of your work, with some recommendations for further development in your practice)
- Anna Höstman will select one promising applicant as the winner of the Louise MacPherson Memorial Award ($400 CAD). The adjudicator may choose to select another applicant who will receive an honourable mention ($100) at which point the Award prize would be $300.
Reading session with guest musicians:
- Anna Höstman, along with ACNMP and CMC organizers, will select up to six (6) of the adjudicated works to be included in a professional reading session with guest musicians. Composers would access the reading session remotely using an unlisted livestream link, and a video conferencing application to facilitate real-time interaction.
- Composers selected for the reading session will receive a professional audio recording for personal reference
- Every applicant from the adjudica